China yet to perfect `democracy`, says daily
Beijing: Chinese democracy is not really what people expect it to be, a state-run daily said Saturday, days ahead of the 18th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
An article "China`s path to democracy" in People`s Daily said democracy was not only a system of government but a way of life which meets people`s needs.
"Admittedly, as public awareness of the right to know and participate as well as the rule of law increases, democracy in China has not reached the level many people expect. However, the country is making steady progress in improving its democracy," it said.
Stressing that democracy is a way of life, it added: "China has attached great importance to people`s livelihood and incremental reform and pursued innovated democracy suitable to its conditions in a pragmatic manner."
The Communist party meeting will see a leadership succession in China.
The daily said that "slavish imitation of Western democracy will lead to turmoil".
"Democracy takes various forms according to different national condition, and good democracy should first suit a country`s national conditions," it said.
The article said China had adopted an open cadre selection system, amended the election law and steadily promoted intra-party democracy over the past 10 years.
It said the government had improved the public hearing system, gradually disclosed information about government affairs, actively responded to people`s concerns and enhanced public awareness about the right to know.
Referring to the role of social media, it the country had made small but significant progress in some aspects such as microblogging.
"The Chinese-style democracy is suitable to China`s national conditions and cultural background and will better promote the country`s modernization process," the daily added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days