Chinese firm prints 100 million Bibles for world
Beijing: A Chinese printing company has just published the 100 millionth copy of the Bible, becoming the largest publisher of the holy book in the world.
The country`s only authorised Bible-printing company, Amity Printing, has provided 40 million copies in over 90 languages to around 70 countries and regions in the world.
Qiu Zhonghui, chairman of the board of Amity Printing Co Ltd, which is based in the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing, said the 100 millionth copy was printed in July.
About 60 million holy books, including nine ethnic minority language editions, have been printed by the company, state-run China Daily reported.
Amity Printing is a joint venture between China`s Amity Foundation and the United Bible Societies. The company has been publishing the Bible since 1988.
Due to Chinese government policies, Amity Printing benefits from being exempt from various taxes when producing the Bible.
There are more than 70 sales outlets nationwide that sell the holy book, Qiu said.
Atheist China has more than 16 million Christians, 55,000 churches or gathering venues, 36,000 missionaries and 100,000 church volunteers.
In addition, it has 18 divinity and Bible schools with 1,800 seminarians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur