Croatia recognises Syrian opposition coalition
Belgrade: Croatia has recognised the National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces (SNCROF) as the only legitimate representative of the Syrian people, the Croatian foreign ministry said.
"Croatia believes that the coalition will provide for the formation of the foundation for the political transformation in Syria that will lead to the development of Syria as of a democratic state, which respects fundamental civil and human rights," the ministry said in a statement.
The SNCROF was formed Nov 11 in Doha, Qatar, and proclaims itself the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
Last month, the leader of the newly formed Syrian opposition coalition, Ahmed Mouaz Khatib, held talks with the European Union`s foreign ministers.
The EU ministers recognised the SNCROF as "the legitimate representative" of the Syrian people.
More than 100 nations, including the US and Western European countries, declared their support for the opposition coalition in December at a gathering in Marrakech, Morocco.
The Syrian opposition, backed by the West and some Arab countries, is pushing for President Bashar al-Assad`s ouster as the main condition for the settlement of the almost two years old internal conflict that has already claimed over 40,000 lives, according to human rights monitors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family