Croatia recognises Syrian opposition coalition
Belgrade: Croatia has recognised the National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces (SNCROF) as the only legitimate representative of the Syrian people, the Croatian foreign ministry said.
"Croatia believes that the coalition will provide for the formation of the foundation for the political transformation in Syria that will lead to the development of Syria as of a democratic state, which respects fundamental civil and human rights," the ministry said in a statement.
The SNCROF was formed Nov 11 in Doha, Qatar, and proclaims itself the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
Last month, the leader of the newly formed Syrian opposition coalition, Ahmed Mouaz Khatib, held talks with the European Union`s foreign ministers.
The EU ministers recognised the SNCROF as "the legitimate representative" of the Syrian people.
More than 100 nations, including the US and Western European countries, declared their support for the opposition coalition in December at a gathering in Marrakech, Morocco.
The Syrian opposition, backed by the West and some Arab countries, is pushing for President Bashar al-Assad`s ouster as the main condition for the settlement of the almost two years old internal conflict that has already claimed over 40,000 lives, according to human rights monitors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception