Croatia recognises Syrian opposition coalition
Belgrade: Croatia has recognised the National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces (SNCROF) as the only legitimate representative of the Syrian people, the Croatian foreign ministry said.
"Croatia believes that the coalition will provide for the formation of the foundation for the political transformation in Syria that will lead to the development of Syria as of a democratic state, which respects fundamental civil and human rights," the ministry said in a statement.
The SNCROF was formed Nov 11 in Doha, Qatar, and proclaims itself the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
Last month, the leader of the newly formed Syrian opposition coalition, Ahmed Mouaz Khatib, held talks with the European Union`s foreign ministers.
The EU ministers recognised the SNCROF as "the legitimate representative" of the Syrian people.
More than 100 nations, including the US and Western European countries, declared their support for the opposition coalition in December at a gathering in Marrakech, Morocco.
The Syrian opposition, backed by the West and some Arab countries, is pushing for President Bashar al-Assad`s ouster as the main condition for the settlement of the almost two years old internal conflict that has already claimed over 40,000 lives, according to human rights monitors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Congress rushes in defence of 'sidelined' AAP Punjab convener
- Bad time continues for banks; Kingfisher Airlines brands auction fails again
- Punjab seeks CBI probe in shooting of RSS leader
- French PM Manuel Valls praises economy, says growth target in reach
- Judges must not hesitate to give severest punishment to rapists: Court