Crocodile swallows Indonesian girl
Kupang: A wild crocodile
swallowed a 10-year-old girl while she played in a river with
her father in eastern Indonesia, the second death in the same
place in two months, a local official said today.
The girl was swimming in Wailolong river yesterday when
the large crocodile suddenly appeared, swallowed her instantly
and disappeared into the water, said Viktor Mado Waton,
Lembata district head in East Nusa Tenggara province.
"They only found the girl`s clothes three hours after the
incident, some 200 metres away from the attack site," he said,
adding that her family members were still trying to find the
"Her father saw this shocking scene as he was only five
metres away in the water."
He said the father and the girl`s teenage brother were
hunting turtles in the river while she was playing.
A 12-year-old boy was killed and eaten by a crocodile in
the same river in early December when he was playing with his
friends, Waton said.
The district head said he has warned locals of the danger
and he will work with police to shut the area off to prevent
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'