Earthquakes jolt northwest China
Beijing: A series of earthquakes measuring
3.1 to 5.0 on the Richter scale jolted northwest China`s
Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Sunday, but there were no
reports of damage or injuries.
An earthquake measuring 5.0 on the Richter scale jolted
Hoxud County of Mongolian Autonomous Prefecture of Bayingolin
in Xinjiang region at 2:20 pm Beijing Time, according to the
China Earthquake Networks Center.
The epicenter, with a depth of seven km, was monitored at
about 42.1 degrees north latitude and 87.5 degrees east
longitude, the center said in a statement.
The epicenter is about 188 km southwest to the regional
capital of Urumqi.
A magnitude 3.6 earthquake, with a depth of eight km,
struck the same point six minutes later, Xinhua news agency
quoted a separate report from the center as saying.
Earlier in the day, the center recorded another 3.1-
magnitude earthquake which jolted the nearby Turpan prefecture
at 7:10 am, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states