Egypt`s Hosni Mubarak in coma after stroke
Cairo: Ex-Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is slipping in and out of coma and put with doctors occasionally using an artificial respirator to help him breathe after he suffered a stroke in prison, reports said on Wednesday.
Mubarak`s health had started deteriorating very fast, yesterday, and his heart stopped beating, which was then revived by defibrillation. But he suffered an attack and was taken to a military hospital.
Meanwhile, his condition was described as "almost stable" by one of his lawyers.
According to earlier reports, Mubarak was declared "clinically dead" upon arrival, but an official later said he was in coma on life support and not clinically dead.
Mubarak has been transferred from Torah prison outside Cairo to Maadi Armed Forces Hospital, after he suffered a heart attack, his lawyer said.
His supporters gathered outside the hospital this morning. Some held Mubarak`s photos while others prayed for him.
"He is a hero of Egypt. He deserves our respect," said a middle-aged woman. But she was sharply interrupted by a young man who called her a liar.
"He should be hanged, Mubarak betrayed his people," the man shouted.
Police in plain clothes appeared and dragged the young man from the scene before the argument could escalate, reports said.
It is said that his wife is by his side in the hospital.
Mubarak, 84, was hospitalized with his first heart failure June 2 after he received his sentence for ordering the killing of protesters in the spring of 2011.
"I thank Egypt`s Armed Forces for transferring (Mubarak). Mubarak is military, therefore he was transferred to a military hospital near Maadi," his lawyer Farid ad-Dib said.
According to some Egyptian media reports, Mubarak has fallen into a coma. Other sources say Mubarak had to be resuscitated in prison after his heart attack.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says