Fighting cancer, Chavez seeks aid from deities
Caracas: President Hugo Chavez is seeking
divine support from indigenous deities and spirits from
Venezuela`s central plains to help him survive cancer.
Chavez often describes himself as a devout Roman
Catholic, although his religious beliefs are eclectic.
The former paratroop commander`s religious doctrines are
rooted in his upbringing in Venezuela`s plains region. Many
people there adhere to numerous folk religions, such as a sect
that venerates the Indian goddess Maria Lionza.
Many people suffering from illnesses pray to the folk
deities or offer them animal sacrifices in return for improved
health or cures.
During a speech today, Chavez said: "I have faith in the
spirits of the plains that I`ll prevail."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- Mulayam, Akhilesh scared of me; not allowing Muslim leaders in SP to speak up, alleges Asaduddin Owaisi