Fighting cancer, Chavez seeks aid from deities
Caracas: President Hugo Chavez is seeking
divine support from indigenous deities and spirits from
Venezuela`s central plains to help him survive cancer.
Chavez often describes himself as a devout Roman
Catholic, although his religious beliefs are eclectic.
The former paratroop commander`s religious doctrines are
rooted in his upbringing in Venezuela`s plains region. Many
people there adhere to numerous folk religions, such as a sect
that venerates the Indian goddess Maria Lionza.
Many people suffering from illnesses pray to the folk
deities or offer them animal sacrifices in return for improved
health or cures.
During a speech today, Chavez said: "I have faith in the
spirits of the plains that I`ll prevail."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed