Fighting cancer, Chavez seeks aid from deities
Caracas: President Hugo Chavez is seeking
divine support from indigenous deities and spirits from
Venezuela`s central plains to help him survive cancer.
Chavez often describes himself as a devout Roman
Catholic, although his religious beliefs are eclectic.
The former paratroop commander`s religious doctrines are
rooted in his upbringing in Venezuela`s plains region. Many
people there adhere to numerous folk religions, such as a sect
that venerates the Indian goddess Maria Lionza.
Many people suffering from illnesses pray to the folk
deities or offer them animal sacrifices in return for improved
health or cures.
During a speech today, Chavez said: "I have faith in the
spirits of the plains that I`ll prevail."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda