Fighting cancer, Chavez seeks aid from deities
Caracas: President Hugo Chavez is seeking
divine support from indigenous deities and spirits from
Venezuela`s central plains to help him survive cancer.
Chavez often describes himself as a devout Roman
Catholic, although his religious beliefs are eclectic.
The former paratroop commander`s religious doctrines are
rooted in his upbringing in Venezuela`s plains region. Many
people there adhere to numerous folk religions, such as a sect
that venerates the Indian goddess Maria Lionza.
Many people suffering from illnesses pray to the folk
deities or offer them animal sacrifices in return for improved
health or cures.
During a speech today, Chavez said: "I have faith in the
spirits of the plains that I`ll prevail."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people