Germany introduces `sex tax meters` in Bonn
London: The German city of Bonn has
reportedly introduced "sex tax" meters for street prostitutes
in an attempt to tax the world`s oldest profession.
Prostitutes working on the streets of the erstwhile West
German capital would now have to buy a ticket from converted
roadside vending machines before starting their working "day"
-- prostitution is legal in Bonn between 8.15 pm and 6 am.
A night`s ticket will set a sex worker back 5.30 pounds,
irrespective of the number of clients they have, `The Daily
Like parking metres, the vending machines -- that once
dispensed tickets to the city`s drivers -- also tell users the
times of day when a ticket is necessary: in this case between
the hours of 8.15 pm and 6 am, Monday to Sunday.
If a police officer catches a sex worker without ticket,
they will be fined or banned from working, the newspaper said.
Monika Frombgen, a spokeswoman for Bonn city council,
said the ticket machines would bring street prostitutes into
fiscal line with their peers in registered sex establishments.
"This is an act of tax fairness. Prostitutes in fixed
establishments such as brothels and sauna clubs already pay
tax," she was quoted by the British newspaper as saying.
Some 200 prostitutes work in Bonn. This is the first time
tax tickets have been sold on the streets in Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble