Gurdwara shooting: Four Indians among 6 killed
Washington: Four of the six victims killed in the shooting incidents at Wisconsin Gurudwara are Indian nationals, one of them being a recent visitor from India.
The Indian Embassy while disclosing the names of those killed in the shooting, did not confirm who among them were Indians.
The names of the victims are Sita Singh (41 male), Ranjeet Singh (49 male), Satwant Singh Kaleka (62 male), Prakash Singh (39 male), Paramjeet Kaur (41 female) and Shobaik Singh (84 male).
Meanwhile, two senior Indian officials - Datta Padsalgikar, who is Minister for Community Affairs in the Indian Embassy in Washington along with Consul N J Gangte from the Indian Consulate in Chicago, visited the site of the incident today, and interacted with local officials, FBI and community representatives, an Embassy spokesman said.
Earlier in the day, the Punjab Chief Minister of Punjab, Parkash Singh Badal, called the Indian Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao, this morning and was assured that the Embassy would offer all possible support to victims of the Oak Creek killings.
"Our hearts go out to the victims, their families, and the Sikh community. This is a tragic incident, especially since it happened in a place of worship. Religious freedom and religious tolerance are fundamental pillars of US society," the State Department spokesman, Patrick Ventrell, told reporters at his daily news conference.
In another statement, the Indian National Overseas Congress (INOC-USA) "strongly condemned" this dastardly act in Wisconsin.
"The violence at the Sikh Gurudwara in Oak Creek is absolutely deplorable and it has no place in a civilized society such as ours," said George Abraham, INOC president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31