Iran summons Swiss envoy over abductions in Syria
Tehran: The Iranian foreign ministry Tuesday summoned the Swiss charge d`affaires in the country to protest the abduction of Iranian pilgrims in Syria, Press TV reported.
The Swiss embassy in Tehran represents US interests in Iran since Tehran and Washington severed diplomatic relations in 1980.
A total of 48 Iranian pilgrims were abducted last week by militants in Damascus.
Reza Zabib, director general of the North America Bureau of the Iranian foreign ministry, told the Swiss diplomat that Washington was responsible for the lives of the Iranian nationals kidnapped in Syria, Xinhua reported.
The US should use its influence on the opposition groups in Syria to free the abducted Iranians "without any preconditions", Zabib said.
The Swiss official said Iran`s protest will be conveyed to the US and its response will be handed to Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000