Iran summons Swiss envoy over abductions in Syria
Tehran: The Iranian foreign ministry Tuesday summoned the Swiss charge d`affaires in the country to protest the abduction of Iranian pilgrims in Syria, Press TV reported.
The Swiss embassy in Tehran represents US interests in Iran since Tehran and Washington severed diplomatic relations in 1980.
A total of 48 Iranian pilgrims were abducted last week by militants in Damascus.
Reza Zabib, director general of the North America Bureau of the Iranian foreign ministry, told the Swiss diplomat that Washington was responsible for the lives of the Iranian nationals kidnapped in Syria, Xinhua reported.
The US should use its influence on the opposition groups in Syria to free the abducted Iranians "without any preconditions", Zabib said.
The Swiss official said Iran`s protest will be conveyed to the US and its response will be handed to Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list