Islam is part of Germany: Angela Merkel
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said Islam has become a part of Germany and urged fellow citizens to show tolerance towards Muslims.
Merkel told members of her conservative Christian Democratic Party that the great majority of Muslims in Germany had distanced themselves from the recent violence during protests against an anti-Islam video that ridiculed the Prophet Muhammad.
She said Germans “should be open about it (Islam) and say, “Yes, it’s part of us’.”
According to express.co.uk, she added that Christians should perhaps start thinking and talking more about their own religion again, ‘rather than having fear of Islam’.
Merkel`s comment came after former president Christian Wulff’s remarks, who surprised many in 2010 by saying that ‘Islam now also belongs to Germany’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'