`Islamists` hold hostages in restive city in Libya
Tripoli: A group of "Islamist extremists"
have taken hostage members of the security forces and
civilians in a city of unrest-swept eastern Libya, a senior
Libyan official said on Sunday.
"A group of Islamist extremists ... is holding hostage
security elements and civilians, threatening to execute them
unless a siege by security forces is lifted" in Al-Baida, the
official said, asking not to be named.
The group calls itself "Islamic Emirate of Barqa," after
the ancient name of a region of northwest Libya, he said.
Justice Minister Mustafa Abdeljalil started
negotiations late on Saturday for the hostage-takers to
release their captives, he said. "But we will not negotiate
over Libya`s integrity under any circumstances."
The official said the same group was responsible for
the hanging of two policemen in al Qaeda on Friday that was
reported in Oea newspaper.
According to Human Rights Watch, at least 23 people
have died in Al-Baida since Tuesday in clashes between
security forces and protesters against the four-decade rule of
Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi.
Libya has over the past five years freed around 850
prisoners from different Islamist groups, 360 of them since
March. Among those released were jihadists with ties to
al Qaeda`s Iraqi and North African franchises, including
senior members of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG)
such as its chief Abdelhakim Belhaj.
In November 2007, al Qaeda number two Ayman
al-Zawahiri allegedly said the LIFG had joined his network, in
an unverified audio recording posted online.
But the Kadhafi Foundation headed by Seif al-Islam,
son of Kadhafi, said in 2008 that Islamists held in Libyan
prisons and previously linked to al Qaeda had renounced their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy