Israel frees six of 27 detained on flotilla
Jerusalem: Israel has freed six of 27
passengers and crew who were aboard two ships intercepted by
its navy while trying to run the Jewish state`s blockade on
the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, an official said on Saturday.
Commandos boarded the Irish-flagged Saoirse (Freedom) and
the Canadian ship Tahrir (Arabic for Liberation) in
international waters off Gaza yesterday before the navy
escorted them to the port of Ashdod, the military said.
Interior ministry spokeswoman Sabine Hadad said the
six released included an Israeli Arab, two Greek crewmen and
three journalists -- from Egypt, Spain and the United States.
She said the remaining 21 people were still being held at
a detention facility in Ramla near Tel Aviv, after questioning
by immigration authorities.
Asked when the 21 activists were expected to be freed,
Hadad explained the deportation process requires them to see a
judge, a process that would take at least 72 hours.
At the end of the process, Israel would fly the activists
back to their homelands, she said. Fourteen of the activists
held by Israel were Irish, the rest are from Canada, Scotland,
Australia and the US.
Activists organised a major attempt to break the Israeli
blockade in May 2010, when six ships led by the Turkish Mavi
Marmara tried to reach Gaza.
Israeli troops stormed the Marmara, killing nine Turkish
activists and sparking a diplomatic crisis with Ankara, which
expelled the Israeli ambassador and has cut military ties with
the Jewish state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way