Israel says attacks on Syria not tantamount to war
London: Israel sought to play down its attack on Syrian soldiers during an air strike on research facilities and weapons shipments that were bound for the Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Israel`s air strikes on a military complex outside of Damascus have killed 42 Syrian soldiers over the weekend, The Independent reports.
While Syria claims these attacks as a ` declaration of war `, Israel has not officially confirmed its involvement in any attacks on Syria.
Friday`s strike near the Lebanese border has hit three sites, according to the Syrian Foreign Ministry.
While Israel has attempted several soothing overtures to its northern neighbour, Tzachi Hanegbi, a confidante of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said these attacks were aimed at avoiding any increase in tension with Syria, by making it clear that the activities are only against the Hezbollah and not against the Syrian regime.
According to the report, Israel has claimed its reluctance in warmongering with Syria after they fought four wars between 1948 and 1982, but says it will act to prevent sophisticated weapons and technology falling into the hands of Hezbollah, with which it fought a war in 2006.
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: We are investigating former IAF chief SP Tyagi's bank accounts, asset details, says CBI
- WATCH: Unbelievable cricket moment- Batsman scores 18 runs off 1 ball!
- Syrian conflict in many ways out of control, warns John Kerry
- Rupee falls 11 paise to 66.44 Vs US dollar
- Parliamentary panel asks coal PSUs, govt to recover dues