Japan puts in place anti-missile system for N Korea rocket
Tokyo: Japan has deployed Patriot Advanced-III anti-missile system and deployed warships off Miyako Island in Okinawa Prefecture fearing that North Korean satellite could stray and fall on its territory.
The country`s Defence Ministry has cited four locations in the prefecture -- Naha and Nanjo on Okinawa Island, Ishigaki Island and Miyako Island -- for deploying PAC-3 missile interceptors in response to North Korea`s plan to launch the rocket between December 10 and 22.
The missile interceptors arrived at Ishigaki Island Wednesday and are scheduled to reach the two other locations on Okinawa Island later, Kyodo reported.
The PAC-3s were deployed at the same Okinawa locations just before North Korea unsuccessfully launched a rocket in April.
Given the North Korean plan for the rocket to take a southern trajectory, it is expected to fly over Okinawa Prefecture.
In addition to the ground-based PAC-3 interceptors, the ministry plans to deploy three Aegis destroyers armed with SM-3 missile interceptors in the East China Sea and the Sea of Japan.
They left Sasebo in Nagasaki Prefecture this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!