Japan to ask China to pay for damaged patrol boats
Tokyo: Japan said on Monday it would ask China to pay for damage made to Japan Coast Guard ships when a Chinese fishing boat collided with them near disputed islets, the latest sign of bickering between Asia`s two biggest economies.
Fishing trawler captain Zhan Qixiong was released and arrived back in China on Saturday after the collision on September 07 near the islets, known as the Diaoyu in China and Senkaku in Japan.
"Naturally, we will be asking for the boats to be returned to their original condition," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshito Sengoku told a news conference.
"Regardless of us doing it now or later when things have cooled down, this will be the government`s task."
Sengoku also called for renewed talks with China on fishing around the islands and to prevent such an incident from recurring.
The row has bounced back and forth between the two sides with demands for an apology and rejections, illustrating the fragility of ties between two countries troubled by Chinese memories of wartime occupation, military mistrust and maritime territorial disputes.
The dispute also raised concerns about damage to Sino-Japanese trade ties at a time when Japan is becoming increasingly reliant on China`s dynamism for growth.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know