Left condemns Israeli strike on Syria
New Delhi: Left parties today condemned the "unprovoked Israeli aggression" on Syria, with the CPI(M) asking the Indian government to condemn the attack.
Maintaining that the "unprovoked Israeli aggression" was the second attack against Syria within 48 hours, the CPI(M) Politburo said Israel was "seeking to intervene in the conflict within Syria in order to destabilise the country and advance its expansionist designs, with the backing of the US/NATO."
"This blatant aggression against Syrian sovereignty and violation of all international laws must be condemned and stopped by the United Nations Security Council.
"The Indian government cannot remain silent on the matter and must forthrightly condemn this aggressive action," the CPI(M) said in a statement.
The CPI Central Secretariat said Israel had launched "an unprovoked strike against Syria on the ground that it is pre-empting sending of lethal weapons to the Hezbullah in Lebanon.
"It strains credulity to think that such weapons were stored in the capital city Damascus next to Government establishments. This has obviously been done with US connivance and the preparation for escalating American armed intervention," it said in a statement.
It demanded a halt to "such blatant violations of international law. The UN Security Council should prevent the flames of war engulfing the entire region."
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- IPL 2016: Rising Pune Supergiants fail yet again as Gujarat Lions continue strong run in maiden season
- AgustaWestland deal: Centre rejects charge that PM Modi struck deal with Italy
- Man wanted in 14 cases arrested after gun-battle in Odisha, 2 injured
- Pakistan playing to gallery in publicising Kashmir issue: Ex-envoy SK Lambah
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) and HSSLC (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared on May 3