Left condemns Israeli strike on Syria
New Delhi: Left parties today condemned the "unprovoked Israeli aggression" on Syria, with the CPI(M) asking the Indian government to condemn the attack.
Maintaining that the "unprovoked Israeli aggression" was the second attack against Syria within 48 hours, the CPI(M) Politburo said Israel was "seeking to intervene in the conflict within Syria in order to destabilise the country and advance its expansionist designs, with the backing of the US/NATO."
"This blatant aggression against Syrian sovereignty and violation of all international laws must be condemned and stopped by the United Nations Security Council.
"The Indian government cannot remain silent on the matter and must forthrightly condemn this aggressive action," the CPI(M) said in a statement.
The CPI Central Secretariat said Israel had launched "an unprovoked strike against Syria on the ground that it is pre-empting sending of lethal weapons to the Hezbullah in Lebanon.
"It strains credulity to think that such weapons were stored in the capital city Damascus next to Government establishments. This has obviously been done with US connivance and the preparation for escalating American armed intervention," it said in a statement.
It demanded a halt to "such blatant violations of international law. The UN Security Council should prevent the flames of war engulfing the entire region."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy