Left condemns Israeli strike on Syria
New Delhi: Left parties today condemned the "unprovoked Israeli aggression" on Syria, with the CPI(M) asking the Indian government to condemn the attack.
Maintaining that the "unprovoked Israeli aggression" was the second attack against Syria within 48 hours, the CPI(M) Politburo said Israel was "seeking to intervene in the conflict within Syria in order to destabilise the country and advance its expansionist designs, with the backing of the US/NATO."
"This blatant aggression against Syrian sovereignty and violation of all international laws must be condemned and stopped by the United Nations Security Council.
"The Indian government cannot remain silent on the matter and must forthrightly condemn this aggressive action," the CPI(M) said in a statement.
The CPI Central Secretariat said Israel had launched "an unprovoked strike against Syria on the ground that it is pre-empting sending of lethal weapons to the Hezbullah in Lebanon.
"It strains credulity to think that such weapons were stored in the capital city Damascus next to Government establishments. This has obviously been done with US connivance and the preparation for escalating American armed intervention," it said in a statement.
It demanded a halt to "such blatant violations of international law. The UN Security Council should prevent the flames of war engulfing the entire region."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!