Magnitude 5.3 earthquake strikes near Hawaii
Pahala (Hawaii): The US Geological Survey is revising the magnitude of an earthquake off the southeast coast of Hawaii to 5.3.
Tuesday afternoon’s earthquake was centered about 55 kilometers southeast of Pahala on the Big Island, at a depth of about 40 kilometers. Officials say it`s not expected to generate a tsunami.
Hawaii County Civil Defense Director Darryl Oliveira says there are no immediate reports of damage.
The USGS reported earlier that the quake`s magnitude was 5.6.
People as far away as Maui and Oahu reported weak shaking to the USGS. The Oahu Department of Emergency Management says some areas may have experienced strong shaking.
Kevin Dayton, the executive assistant to the mayor, says he felt a large jolt in the county building in Hilo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported