Malaysia rejects offer of unilateral ceasefire by self-styled leader of militant group

Last Updated: Friday, March 8, 2013 - 17:47

Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia has rejected an offer of a unilateral ceasefire offer by the self-styled Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has also declared that the military and police would hunt the remaining Sulu gunmen down if they refused to give up, reports The Star.

Najib said he received a call from Philippine President Benigno Aquino III asking him about the feelings among Malaysians about Jamalul`s offer of a unilateral ceasefire.

Najib said he told the president that they will have to lay down their weapons unconditionally.

Najib said he was satisfied with the achievements of the combined military and police forces and said it would serve as a framework for more joint operations in tackling future security threats.

Najib said there should not be any more polemics about the position of Sabah within Malaysia.

He said that from a legal perspective, Sabah is a part of Malaysia and in the Cobbold Commission, more than two-thirds of the people in the state voiced their intention to be part of this nation in 1963.

Hence, the question about Sabah being part of Malaysia cannot be disputed by anyone inside or outside the country, he added.

Jamalul had earlier declared a unilateral ceasefire from yesterday and urged Malaysia to reciprocate, according to a statement read out by his spokesman Abraham Idjirani in Manila.

ANI



First Published: Friday, March 8, 2013 - 17:47

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus