Missing Indian student in Britain found dead
London: Indian student Souvik Pal who went missing on New Year`s Eve has been found dead after the British police recovered his body from a canal.
18-year-old Pal was found dead by specialist officers in Bridgewater Canal, near Manchester United`s Old Trafford football ground, at 2pm on Tuesday.
Pal, an international student who had enrolled for product design course at Manchester Metropolitan University, disappeared on a night out at the Warehouse Project in Trafford, Greater Manchester.
He was last seen at the event at about 11pm and was reported missing by a flatmate the following morning.
Police which had pursued tracing Pal offered condolences to the family and extended their support.
"Our thoughts and condolences are with Souvik`s family at this devastating time and our officers are doing all they can to support them," said Detective Chief Inspector Colin Larkin.
"We do not believe there are any suspicious circumstances surrounding Souvik`s death and a file will be submitted to the coroner in due course."
Pal`s father Santanu had travelled from his home in Bangalore to help with the search.
A number of appeals were made to trace his son, including the use of digital advertising hoardings at Manchester United`s domestic Premier League of Football home game against Liverpool.
Pal had trained for a part-time job serving refreshments at the stadium and worked at Manchester United`s game against West Bromwich Albion on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?