N Korea invites back UN inspectors
Pyong Yang: The United Nations nuclear watchdog said on Monday that it has received an invitation from North Korea to resume monitoring parts of its atomic program.
The overture from Pyongyang was confirmed by Gill Tudor, a spokeswoman for the International Atomic Energy Agency. She said her agency received the invitation on Friday – the same day the North announced plans to launch a satellite into orbit. She declined to go into details on what North Korea`s terms were.
The move comes amid increased international tensions generated by North Korea`s announcement that it planned to test a rocket by launching a satellite and in the face of a rare expression of concern from China, its main political and economic ally.
Still, despite Chinese concern and criticism from Western countries and Russia, a senior North Korean nuclear negotiator reiterated his government`s position on the planned long-range rocket launch after holding talks Monday with his counterpart in Beijing. Ri Yong Ho said the launch “is part of our right to develop space programs.”
North Korea, while inviting the UN inspectors to monitor a nuclear deal with the United States, insisted the pact remains in force despite its shock announcement of an upcoming satellite launch.
Next month`s planned launch, which will violate a United Nations resolution, has sparked widespread complaints that the communist state is testing long-range missile technology which could one day deliver a nuclear warhead.
Washington says any launch would breach the bilateral deal announced on February 29, which offered substantial US food aid for a partial nuclear freeze.
The North, which came under new leadership in December under the young and untested Kim Jong-Un, insists otherwise.
"The satellite launch is one thing and the DPRK-US agreement is another," its chief nuclear negotiator Ri Yong-Ho said late Monday in Beijing, using the North`s full name, the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea.
The North will implement its deal with the United States in full, he told reporters, according to video footage aired Tuesday by South Korea`s KBS television.
"In order to implement the agreement, we`ve sent a letter of invitation to the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) to send inspectors to our country."
The deal raised modest hopes of progress in decades-long efforts to curb the North`s nuclear weapons drive.
It agreed last month to suspend its uranium enrichment programme, along with long-range missile launches and nuclear tests, in return for 240,000 tonnes of US food. It also promised to readmit IAEA inspectors expelled three years ago.
The North insists a peaceful satellite launch is not a missile test.
But the United States, Japan, Russia and other nations have called for it to scrap the plan, and even close ally China has expressed concern.
US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that any IAEA access would be beneficial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon