NATO is `mafia` and Obama a `snake charmer`: Castro
Havana: NATO is a "military mafia," the war
in Afghanistan is "genocidal" and US President Barack Obama deserves the prize for the "best snake charmer" who ever
lived, Cuba`s Fidel Castro has said.
In an article published yesterday in response to the
Western alliance`s weekend summit in Portugal, the former
Cuban leader called NATO an "aggressive institution" that
ignored "billions of persons suffering from poverty,
underdevelopment, shortages of food, housing, health,
education and jobs."
Castro, 84, communism`s most visible living figure, led
Cuba from the 1959 Revolution until he stepped down for health
reasons in 2006, handing over the presidency to his brother
Castro called NATO (short for the North Atlantic Treaty
Organization) "a bird of prey sitting in the lap of the Yankee
empire," that was used by the United States to wage "the
genocidal Afghanistan war."
He brushed off ambitious plans unveiled at the Lisbon
summit that would have Western leaders press Kabul to take
over security by 2014, predicting they would eventually "hand
over power to the Afghan resistance, in defeat."
The United States is "going through a difficult phase as
the result of its war exploits" and using its "enormous media
resources to maintain, dupe and confuse world public opinion,"
"Obama already admitted that his promise to withdraw US
soldiers from Afghanistan may be postponed... After the Nobel
Prize, we would have to award him with the prize for `the best
snake charmer` that has ever existed."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi