NATO`s top military commander in Turkey
Ankara: Turkey`s military says US Admiral James Stavridis, NATO`s top military commander, is holding talks in Ankara, which has been seen as holding up agreement on a NATO command structure for a no-fly zone over Libya.
Turkey has warned that the rules of engagement in Libya must be restricted to protecting civilians, enforcing the arms embargo and no-fly zone, and the provision of humanitarian aid. This would exclude any further air strikes against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi`s ground forces.
Stavridis` visit to the Turkish general staff on Thursday also comes hours ahead of a vote in Parliament to approve participation of Navy vessels in a NATO mission to enforce an arms embargo on Libya. He also discussed operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya with Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu late Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Will not allow our territory for any anti-India activity: Myanmar to India
- Kerry urges deployment of South Sudan `protection force`
- Rio-returned athlete Sudha Singh hospitalized
- Companies' business confidence index grows 2.2% in June quarter
- Sensex falls for second straight session, cracks below 28,000-mark