Neighborhood in far west China tries veil ban
Beijing: A city district in heavily Muslim
western China is trying to tamp down religious fervor by
prohibiting people from wearing veils, traditional Arab dress
or growing long beards.
The notice from the Dunmaili district of Yining
disappeared from the Yining government website Thursday
afternoon. It was still available on a state-run news website,
though the reason for the discrepancy was uncertain.
Yining is in the Xinjiang region that is home to the
traditionally Muslim Uighur ethnic group. Many Uighurs resent
Chinese rule and controls on their religion and culture and
the region has occasionally seen violent unrest.
The notice said stubborn individuals who refused to give
up their veils, Arab dress or long beards should be turned
over to judicial departments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you