`No specific terror threat to London Olympics`

Last Updated: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 17:11

London: UK`s Defence Secretary Philip Hammond has said that there is no specific terror threat to this year`s Olympic Games.

Hammond said: "I am pleased to say there is no specific threat".

He said that an elaborate military exercise had been carried out in London to prepare against any unforeseen security threats.

The BBC quoted Hammond as saying: "The idea now is that the military will fade into the background. We don’t want to dominate these games".

"We want it to be a festival of sport and of culture, but the military will be there and we want people to know that the military are there in the background to provide ultimate reassurance," Hammond added.

The military exercise conducted included testing air defence missile systems at six sites across London.

Typhoon jets, based at RAF Northolt in west London, were also tested over southeast England with Lynx, Sea King and Puma helicopters.

Hammond said: "The idea now is that the military will fade into the background".

Under the Air Security Plan, 30 miles (48km) of airspace surrounding the Olympic Park would become a restricted flying zone.

On the ground, the RAF will provide mobile ground radar systems, while the Army will deploy air observers and high-velocity missiles.

ANI



First Published: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 17:11

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus