North Korea holding 154,000 political prisoners: South Korea
Seoul: North Korea is still operating six
Stalinist-style labour camps holding 154,000 inmates, a South
Korean lawmaker said on Saturday.
Yoon Sang-Hyun, from the ruling Grand National Party,
said the North had had 10 camps holding about 200,000
prisoners until the late 1990s when it closed down four of
them amid mounting international criticism.
"Currently, it holds 154,000 prisoners in six places," he
was quoted as saying by Yonhap news agency.
He cited a government report presented to the National
Seoul had reportedly been aware of the camps since 2005
but had not disclosed the information for fear of harming
inter-Korean relations, the conservative Dong-A daily said.
North Korea denies holding any political prisoners. Its
official media say there are no human rights issues in the
communist state where everybody leads "the most dignified and
Inmates at the gulags are reportedly forced to work more
than 10 hours a day and denied access to medical care,
receiving only 100 to 200 grams (four to eight ounces) of food
rations, while the North Korean food ration for children
of up to age four is set at 234 grams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145