North Korea threat: US sending missile defence system to Guam
Washington: In the wake of continued heated rhetoric from North Korea, the United States is deploying a ballistic missile defence system in Guam.
The announcement from Pentagon came on a day the North Korean Army said that it has been given approval to launch nuclear strike on US threats.
"The Department of Defence will deploy a Terminal High Altitude Area Defence System (THAAD) Ballistic Missile Defence system to Guam in the coming weeks as a precautionary move to strengthen our regional defence posture against the North Korean regional ballistic missile threat," the Pentagon announced on Wednesday.
THAAD system is a land-based missile defence system that includes a truck-mounted launcher, a complement of interceptor missiles, an AN/TPY-2 tracking radar, and an integrated fire control system.
"This deployment will strengthen defence capabilities for American citizens in the US Territory of Guam and US forces stationed there," the Pentagon statement said.
The US continues to urge the North Korean leadership to cease provocative threats and choose the path of peace by complying with its international obligations, it said.
"The United States remains vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and stands ready to defend US territory, our allies, and our national interests," the Pentagon said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog