North Korea threat: US sending missile defence system to Guam
Washington: In the wake of continued heated rhetoric from North Korea, the United States is deploying a ballistic missile defence system in Guam.
The announcement from Pentagon came on a day the North Korean Army said that it has been given approval to launch nuclear strike on US threats.
"The Department of Defence will deploy a Terminal High Altitude Area Defence System (THAAD) Ballistic Missile Defence system to Guam in the coming weeks as a precautionary move to strengthen our regional defence posture against the North Korean regional ballistic missile threat," the Pentagon announced on Wednesday.
THAAD system is a land-based missile defence system that includes a truck-mounted launcher, a complement of interceptor missiles, an AN/TPY-2 tracking radar, and an integrated fire control system.
"This deployment will strengthen defence capabilities for American citizens in the US Territory of Guam and US forces stationed there," the Pentagon statement said.
The US continues to urge the North Korean leadership to cease provocative threats and choose the path of peace by complying with its international obligations, it said.
"The United States remains vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and stands ready to defend US territory, our allies, and our national interests," the Pentagon said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- India needs $1.5 trillion for infrastructure development: Arun Jaitley
- IIFA 2016: Why should girls have all the fun? Ranveer-Fawad-Karan shoot up dapper quotient
- Salman Khan flaunting his biceps in new 'Sultan' still will leave you flabbergasted! - View pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani': Priyanka Chopra congratulates Sanjay Leela Bhansali for 'Best Director' award at IIFA 2016!
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! Chris Gayle goes berserk as Portugal pip Croatia in Euro 2016