North Korean missile test `at any time from now on`: S Korea
Seoul: North Korea is highly likely to launch mid-range missiles "at any time from now on", said South Korean Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se Wednesday.
"According to intelligence collected by our side and the US, possibility for North Korea`s missile launch is very high," Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se said at a parliamentary meeting for foreign affairs and unification. "The possibility can be realized at any time from now on."
The missiles were estimated to be a new type of `Musudan` missile, Yun said, noting that "the missile has a range of around 3,500 km. How far the missile will reach depends on North Korea", reported Xinhua.
On April 4, Defence Minister Kim Kwan-jin told lawmakers that North Korea moved intermediate-range missiles to its east coast.
The missiles, estimated to be `Musudan` that could reach the US military base in Guam, were believed to be mounted on mobile launchers known as the transporter-erector-launcher (TEL).
The missiles may be fired around April 15 when Pyongyang celebrates the birthday of Kim Il-sung, North Korea`s founder and the late grandfather of the current leader Kim Jung-un.
Yun warned that if the North Korea launches the missiles, the UN Security Council will be convened automatically as the UN resolutions have banned Pyongyang from conducting a ballistic missile test.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened