Olympics security in `humiliating shambles`
London: Facing flak for its "unacceptable, incompetent and amateurish" performance, a security company contracted to provide personnel for the London Olympics on Tuesday admitted that its failure to meet its obligations has turned the situation into "humiliating shambles."
In a televised grilling before the Home Affairs Select Committee, Nick Buckles, Chairman of security company G4S said he would not disagree with committee member Labour MP David Winnick, who described the situation as a "humiliating shambles."
Keith Vaz, Chairman of the committee, concluded the 90-minute session with Buckles by describing the company performance as "unacceptable, incompetent and amateurish."
The British government has had to deploy 3,500 troops - including some returned from frontline duty on Afghanistan - because of the company`s failure to provide the required number of security personnel for the Olympics.
The inability of the company to deliver is widely seen as a national embarrassment for Britain on the eve of the mega sporting event beginning July 27.
There are demands that instead of handing over the security to a private company, the army and police should have been entrusted the task in the first place.
The Olympics contract with G4S is worth 280 million pounds. It stands to lose up to 50 million pounds after being unable to provide the staff it had been contracted to deliver.
There were several reports of less number of G4S people turning up to man security posts.
G4S also handles 600 million pounds worth of prison and other security contracts for the Home Office.
Buckles said he had now decided not to bid for the security contract for the FIFA World Cup in Brazil in 2014.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know