One killed, nine injured in shelling of Russian embassy in Damascus
Moscow: One Syrian was killed and nine others were injured during a mortar shelling of the Russian embassy in Damascus, the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement on Thursday.
One mortar round landed at the embassy`s premises and the other exploded close to it, the statement posted on www.mid.ru said, killing and injuring local residents, including guards.
"We consider them (shellings) acts of terrorism, whose executors and those inciting and supervising them, should receive a deserved punishment," the ministry said.
Russia, a staunch supporter of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, has criticised the West for aiding rebels who have been fighting to topple him for more than two years in a war that has cost well over 100,000 lives.
In a statement US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki condemned the shelling and said the United States continued to emphasize that those responsible for atrocities on all sides must be held accountable.
Syrian rebels have launched several mortar and rocket attacks in recent months into the centre of the Syrian capital, where many embassies and senior Syrian officials are based.
A mortar shell landed on the compound of the Russian embassy in September inflicting light injuries to two people.
The Russian mission was also damaged in February when a car bomb exploded nearby on a busy Damascus highway, killing 50 people. No one was wounded at the embassy, but that blast blew out windows in the building, Russian officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur