Prepared for any North Korean threat, says US
Washington: Amid escalating tension in the Korean peninsula after recent aggressive statements by North, the US has said it is in close touch with its South Korean allies and is prepared for any possible threat from Pyongyang.
"We`ve seen reports of a new and unconstructive statement from North Korea. We take these threats seriously and remain in close contact with our South Korean Allies," said Caitlin Hayden, spokesperson of the National Security Council.
"But, we would also note that North Korea has a long history of bellicose rhetoric and threats and today`s announcement follows that familiar pattern," she said.
Referring to the statement by Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, Hayden said the US remains fully prepared and capable of protecting the country and its allies.
"We continue to take additional measures against the North Korean threat, including our plan to increase the US ground-based interceptors and early warning and tracking radar, and the signing of the ROK-US counter-provocation plan," Hayden said.
The White House statement came after North Korea yesterday said that it was entering a state of war.
According to North Korea`s official news agency, its leader, Kim Jong Un, after his meeting with his top commanders, said his country "would react to the US nuclear blackmail with a merciless nuclear attack, and war of aggression with an all-out war of justice."
Kim also signed the plan on technical preparations of strategic rockets, ordering them to be "standby for fire so that they may strike any time the US mainland, its military bases in the operational theaters" in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in south Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31