Pressure on employment is growing: China
Beijing: China on Thursday acknowledged growing pressure on employment as the registered urban unemployment rate stood at 4.1 per cent despite creation of 3.42 million new jobs in the first quarter of this year.
Employment pressure is increasing as the number of job-seekers has continued to rise, especially among college graduates, Yin Chengji, spokesman for the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security said today.
The urban unemployment rate from January to March remained unchanged from 4.1 per cent in 2012, and it may contribute to realising this year`s target of keeping the unemployment rate at or below 4.6 per cent, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The employment of college graduates has been and will be a focus of government efforts in the coming years, Yin said.
China will see a record-high 6.99 million people graduate from college this year, up 2.8 per cent year-on-year.
The government will provide more internship programmes and vocational training for college students in their senior year and organise more job fairs targeting new graduates, Yin said.
It will also work out more preferential policies to encourage young people to start their own businesses, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees