River Thames` banks burst, London under threat
London: Flooding has spread along the River Thames and now threatens London, amid a political row over the handling of devastating winter storms.
The Environment Agency issued 14 severe flood warnings — meaning lives are at risk — in the affluent counties of Surrey and Berkshire to the west of the capital, after the Thames broke its banks.
Some areas are already under water, including parts of the Great Windsor Park, the grounds of the Queen`s castle at Windsor, which itself is built on higher ground.
The Berkshire fire service rescued at least 16 people Monday, including several from their homes in the flooded village of Wraysbury, a spokeswoman said.
In the village, residents donned waders and even a full wetsuit as the waters rose. Some complained that the village had been abandoned by the authorities, who are already under fire over their handling of flooding in southwest England.
Somerset in southwest England has been under water for weeks after the wettest January since 1766, and more bad weather is expected over the coming days.
Devastated communities have criticised the official response, saying more should have been done to protect their properties from flooding.
The government last week announced STG130 million ($A239.41 million) in extra funding for emergency repairs and maintenance. On a visit to Dorset in southwest England, Prime Minister David Cameron called for calm as he viewed how the military are helping build up sea defences against weeks of punishing waves.
London itself is protected by the Thames Barrier, although a suburb to the south of the capital, Croydon, announced plans to divert rising floodwaters caused by heavy rain away from homes and businesses by pumping them into a pedestrian underpass.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM