Romney`s tax plan is Robin Hood in reverse: Obama
Washington: Launching a new attack against his Republican rival Mitt Romney, US President Barack Obama has termed his tax plan as "Robin Hood in reverse", saying it would take money from the poor to help the rich.
"It`s like Robin Hood in reverse. It`s Romney Hood," Obama said at a campaign event in Connecticut, amidst a round of applause from the crowd.
Obama argued that the entire centerpiece of Romney`s economic plan is a new USD 5 trillion tax cut.
"We have known for a while that a lot of this tax cut would go to the wealthiest 1 per cent of all households," he said.
"But just last week, an independent, non-partisan organization crunched the numbers. They went through what would it mean to add a USD5 trillion tax cut," he said.
"They determined that Governor Romney`s plan would effectively raise taxes on middle-class families with children by an average of USD 2,000 -- to pay for this tax cut. Not to reduce the deficit. Not to invest in things that grows our economy, like education or roads or basic research.
"He`d ask the middle class to pay more in taxes so that he could give another USD 250,000 tax cut to people making more than USD3 million a year," he said.
Obama said this sounds like an idea that`s difficult to explain or sell to the American people.
However the Romney campaign rejected the assertions being made by the US President.
"President Obama recently said the biggest regret of his first term was not telling better stories. He`s trying to make up for it now, but his stories just aren`t true," said Ryan Williams, a Romney campaign spokesman.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged