Russia blasts West`s `terrorism logic` on Syria
Moscow: The West`s policy of dividing Syrian terrorists into "the bad" and "the not so bad" is dangerous, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
"Our colleagues at the UN Security Council refuse to condemn terrorist attacks," he said in an interview with the RT television network.
"They say terrorism is bad but at the same time urge us to take into account the Syrian situation and the reason people are attacking government forces," Lavrov said.
"Our Western colleagues have started dividing terrorists into `bad` and `acceptable`. That is very dangerous."
Western countries that want Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to go should tell him in so many words, Lavrov said, adding that some regional players have requested Moscow to ask Assad to leave in exchange for a safe haven.
"My answer is very simple -- Why use us as a postman? If President Assad is interested, then this should be discussed with him directly," Lavrov said.
Syria`s opposition coalition has reiterated its condemnation of the Russian government`s policy and position on political and military support for the Assad regime but denied it has declared "open season" on Russian nationals.
The conflict between government troops and opposition forces has claimed the lives of over 30,000 people since March 2011, according to UN figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!