Russia blasts West`s `terrorism logic` on Syria
Moscow: The West`s policy of dividing Syrian terrorists into "the bad" and "the not so bad" is dangerous, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
"Our colleagues at the UN Security Council refuse to condemn terrorist attacks," he said in an interview with the RT television network.
"They say terrorism is bad but at the same time urge us to take into account the Syrian situation and the reason people are attacking government forces," Lavrov said.
"Our Western colleagues have started dividing terrorists into `bad` and `acceptable`. That is very dangerous."
Western countries that want Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to go should tell him in so many words, Lavrov said, adding that some regional players have requested Moscow to ask Assad to leave in exchange for a safe haven.
"My answer is very simple -- Why use us as a postman? If President Assad is interested, then this should be discussed with him directly," Lavrov said.
Syria`s opposition coalition has reiterated its condemnation of the Russian government`s policy and position on political and military support for the Assad regime but denied it has declared "open season" on Russian nationals.
The conflict between government troops and opposition forces has claimed the lives of over 30,000 people since March 2011, according to UN figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy