Russia evacuates embassy staff from Libya
Moscow: Russia has evacuated its diplomats and members of their families from Libya, Alexander Lukashevich, a spokesman for the Russian foreign ministry, said Thursday.
“Libya’s Foreign Minister Abdel Aziz, who visited the embassy, told the Russian ambassador the Libyan side was unable to ensure the necessary protection of the embassy and the security of Russian diplomats and that is why he made a recommendation that the diplomats and families should rather leave the compound of the diplomatic mission,” Lukashevich said.
Unidentified gunmen had attacked the building of the Russian embassy in Tripoli Wednesday.
“Considering the circumstances, a decision was taken to evacuate the staff members of all the Russian overseas organisations from Libya via Tunisia,” Lukashevich added.
A specially chartered jet will take the evacuees from Tunisia`s capital Tunis to Moscow Friday.
Lukashevich also said that the foreign ministry has issued a warning to Russian citizens that it was highly desirable to stay away from trips to Libya in the wake of Wednesday’s incident.
He, however, added that a group of Russian diplomats from among the senior officials of the embassy in Libya would stay in Tunis to maintain contacts with Libyan officials in Tripoli.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister