Russia holds biggest war games in decades
Moscow: Russia has launched its biggest military maneuvers since Soviet times, involving 160,000 troops and about 5,000 tanks across Siberia and the far eastern region.
President Vladimir Putin watched some of the drills on Tuesday on Sakhalin Island in the Pacific.
The maneuvers are part of recent efforts to boost the military`s mobility and combat readiness.
Dozens of Russia`s Pacific Fleet ships and 130 combat aircraft also took part in the drills, which began on Friday and continue through this week.
As part of the drills held across several time zones, some army units deployed to areas thousands of kilometers away from their bases.
Russia`s Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov assured foreign military attaches that the exercise was part of regular combat training and wasn`t directed against any particular nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister