Russia holds biggest war games in decades
Moscow: Russia has launched its biggest military maneuvers since Soviet times, involving 160,000 troops and about 5,000 tanks across Siberia and the far eastern region.
President Vladimir Putin watched some of the drills on Tuesday on Sakhalin Island in the Pacific.
The maneuvers are part of recent efforts to boost the military`s mobility and combat readiness.
Dozens of Russia`s Pacific Fleet ships and 130 combat aircraft also took part in the drills, which began on Friday and continue through this week.
As part of the drills held across several time zones, some army units deployed to areas thousands of kilometers away from their bases.
Russia`s Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov assured foreign military attaches that the exercise was part of regular combat training and wasn`t directed against any particular nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!