Russia holds biggest war games in decades
Moscow: Russia has launched its biggest military maneuvers since Soviet times, involving 160,000 troops and about 5,000 tanks across Siberia and the far eastern region.
President Vladimir Putin watched some of the drills on Tuesday on Sakhalin Island in the Pacific.
The maneuvers are part of recent efforts to boost the military`s mobility and combat readiness.
Dozens of Russia`s Pacific Fleet ships and 130 combat aircraft also took part in the drills, which began on Friday and continue through this week.
As part of the drills held across several time zones, some army units deployed to areas thousands of kilometers away from their bases.
Russia`s Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov assured foreign military attaches that the exercise was part of regular combat training and wasn`t directed against any particular nation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!