Russia, US on same page on Syria chemical weapons: Vladimir Putin
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Bali: In a rare show of goodwill, Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday said that Washington and Moscow had a “common understanding” on Syria chemical weapons destruction and that he was glad about US President Barack Obama’s stance on the issue.
Speaking to the reporters after a meeting with US Secretary of State John Kerry on sidelines of APEC summit, Putin said, "We have a common understanding of what needs to be done and how. I am very glad that President (Barack) Obama is occupying this position (on chemical arms)".
Putin’s nice words for the US come just a day after Kerry hailed ‘Russian cooperation’ and ‘Syrian compliance’ with the chemical disarmament plan proposed jointly by the US and Russia.
Kerry had yesterday hailed the implementation of the Syria chemical plan saying that Assad regime deserved the credit for the process to begin on time.
Putin, also appreciated Syria saying that the Assad regime had debunked the speculations of non-commitment by sticking to the plan.
“The doubts regarding the readiness of the Syrian leadership to adequately respond to the decisions on chemical weapons proved to be unjustified,” he said. “Syria has joined these efforts actively, is acting very transparently...and I hope this work will continue further at the same pace and in the same direction,” Putin said.
Putin also expressed his trust in the international experts, who are in Syria for destruction of the chemical stockpile.
“We and the Americans, the whole international community trust them,” he said. “If they are saying it is possible to do this (eliminate Syria’s chemical arms) in one year, then that’s the way it is.”
A team of over thirty chemical inspectors from the UN and OPCW arrived in Syria and have begun the initial phase of the chemical dismantling that would be over by November 01.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof