Several held as Vietnam breaks up anti-China rally
Hanoi: Vietnamese authorities broke up a small anti-China protest in Hanoi and detained several people today, activists said, a day after high-level talks over an oil rig in disputed waters ended in deadlock.
Around a dozen activists briefly waved banners and shouted "Chinese oil rig get out of Vietnam!" and "silence is cowardice" - a dig at Hanoi`s handling of the dispute - before police forced them to disperse.
Around seven activists were detained by police, according to reports posted on activist blogs. Police did not confirm the detentions.
"It is not good for people to gather here. We need to avoid causing difficulties for the state. The state can protect Vietnam`s sovereignty," Do Anh Vinh, 22, a communist youth volunteer helping security forces said.
Relations between the communist neighbours have plummeted to their lowest point for decades since China moved an oil rig into waters Vietnam claims, triggering a standoff with vessels from both sides colliding in contested seas.
The two sides have traded accusations in an increasingly heated territorial dispute, with each side claiming the other has engaged in aggressive behavior against its ships, including by ramming them.
China`s top foreign policy official, State Councillor Yang Jiechi met Vietnam`s Foreign Minister and Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung in Hanoi yesterday but the talks ended in deadlock.
Vietnam`s communist leaders have struggled to balance strong domestic opposition to China`s unilateral moves in the South China Sea with their traditionally friendly ties with a fellow communist country.
Anti-Chinese riots sparked by Beijing`s dispatch of the deep-sea rig claimed three Chinese lives in Vietnam last month, according to Hanoi. Beijing says four Chinese citizens died.
Hanoi has since moved to muzzle public protest as it seeks to reassure nervous foreign investors that the country is a safe place to do business.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today