South Korea suspends some US beef imports over controversial feed additive
Seoul: South Korea said it has suspended some US beef imports after detecting the controversial growth enhancer in cattle, Zilpaterol, in 22 tonnes of beef supplied by a work site from a unit of meat producer JBS USA.
Zilpaterol is a beta-agonist, a kind of feed additive that can add as much as 30 pounds of saleable meat to an animal in the weeks before slaughter. Beta-agonists, used for many years in the US feedlot industry, became the centre of a controversy in August after Reuters reported concerns within the US meat-processing industry about cattle having difficulty walking.
The feed additive is banned in South Korea and the country`s food ministry said it had halted imports from the work site at Swift Beef Co, a unit of JBS USA, and asked the United States to investigate the cause of the contamination.
A JBS spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.
South Korean authorities were widening tests to all beef imports from the firm`s work site, the food ministry`s statement said.
"As of now, we don`t clearly know when we will complete examining US beef from Swift Beef Co. We plan to inspect all of the meat from the company, said Ahn Man-ho, vice spokesman for the food ministr.
"If we further find zilpaterol in US beef or in any other meat, we will take a similar action."
Merck & Co, which makes the leading additive, a zilpaterol-based drug called Zilmax , suspended sales of the drug in the United States and Canada while it carried out an audit of how it was being used, from the feedyard to the packing plant. Merck said it remained confident in the safety of the product, which had sales of $159 million last year in the United States and Canada.
The use of Zilmax is not banned in the United States but has also come increased scrutiny since the largest US meat processor Tyson Foods Inc said in early August it would stop purchases of cattle fed with the feed additive after some animals showed having difficulty walking or moving.
South Korea imported 75,426 tonnes of US beef from January to September, with 4,697 tonnes coming from Swift Beef.
South Korea said it had been strengthening scrutiny of US beef since Taiwan had also detected zilpaterol in US beef.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in