South Korea to finalise F-35 jet fighter deal this year
Seoul: South Korea plans to finalise the purchase of 40 next-generation F-35 jet fighters from US aerospace giant Lockheed Martin later this year, Seoul`s military procurement agency said.
We will... Push to sign the contract in the third quarter... After testing and further negotiations," Jung Kwang-Sun, the Defense Acquisition Program Administration`s aircraft department director, told reporters in a briefing late yesterday.
The South`s air force has been looking to upgrade its ageing fleet of Boeing F-4 and F-5 fighters in the light of North Korea`s growing nuclear threat.
Jung did not specifically name the F-35s, but they are the only jet fighters on offer that meet the requirement -- laid down by the South Korean joint chiefs of staff last month -- for a stealth-capable fighter.
The absence of a stealth capability was behind the military`s decision in September to block a USD 7.7 billion deal to buy 60 of Boeing`s F-15 fighters.
The Boeing aircraft was the only one to come in under the USD 7.7 billion budget approved by parliament.
The tender has since been adjusted, although Jung declined to give details on the cost of the 40 F-35s, saying it would require both finance ministry and parliamentary approval.
"If we choose to buy F-35s, we will choose to buy the F-35A that has been adopted by the US Air Force," he said, adding they would be delivered from 2018 onwards.
The F-35A takes off and lands conventionally. The F-35B variant can land vertically, like the obsolete Harrier plane, and its users will include the US Marines and Britain`s armed forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Attack on CRPF convoy a desperate attempt to create problems: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- 'Udta Punjab' Box Office collection: Shahid Kapoor-Alia Bhatt starrer crosses Rs 50 crore mark!
- 30 dead, 21 injured after bus catches fire in central China
- Revealed! Why 'Baahubali' didn’t feature a Bollywood star-cast!
- Top 5 ways to deal with mid-life crisis!