Syria: Assad vows to defeat ‘foreign conspiracy’
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has vowed to defeat what he calls ‘a foreign plot’ being waged against the country.
“The Syrian people will not allow this conspiracy to achieve its objectives and will defeat it ‘at any price’,” Assad said.
“What is happening now is not only directed at Syria but the whole region. Because Syria is the cornerstone, foreign powers are targeting it so their conspiracy succeeds across the entire region,” he added.
Assad’s remarks came during a meeting with the visiting head of the Iranian Parliament`s national security and foreign policy commission, Aladin Borujerdi, in Damascus, News.com.au reports.
According to the report, Assad described the brutal 17-month conflict as a fight against foreign ‘terrorists’ aided by the West and Syria`s Sunni Muslim foes in the region, including Saudi Arabia.
“Syria is continuing its strategy of resistance ... despite the joint efforts by Western and some regional countries to make it change its stance,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!