Syria: Assad vows to defeat ‘foreign conspiracy’
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has vowed to defeat what he calls ‘a foreign plot’ being waged against the country.
“The Syrian people will not allow this conspiracy to achieve its objectives and will defeat it ‘at any price’,” Assad said.
“What is happening now is not only directed at Syria but the whole region. Because Syria is the cornerstone, foreign powers are targeting it so their conspiracy succeeds across the entire region,” he added.
Assad’s remarks came during a meeting with the visiting head of the Iranian Parliament`s national security and foreign policy commission, Aladin Borujerdi, in Damascus, News.com.au reports.
According to the report, Assad described the brutal 17-month conflict as a fight against foreign ‘terrorists’ aided by the West and Syria`s Sunni Muslim foes in the region, including Saudi Arabia.
“Syria is continuing its strategy of resistance ... despite the joint efforts by Western and some regional countries to make it change its stance,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred