Syria death toll from rebel infighting jumps to 68
Beirut: Activists say the death toll from infighting between rival Islamic rebel groups in eastern Syria has jumped to 68.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says battles are still raging today, for a second day, around Bukamal town in the oil-rich Deir el-Zour province near the Iraqi border.
Rebels from the al-Qaeda breakaway group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and fighters of the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front and other Islamic groups have been fighting each other in the province for weeks over territory they previously captured together from President Bashar Assad`s forces, including oil-fields.
The Observatory said 51 fighters died in fighting around Bukamal yesterday, when the flare-up started. The Islamic State captured the town, previously controlled by the Nusra Front.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Water tanker scam: ACB trying to arrest me, says Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra
- Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya's bail plea rejected — What NIA court said
- PM condoles death of Naga leader Isak Swu
- Photo alert! Divyanka Tripathi and Vivek Dahiya’s pre-wedding shoot looks like a fairytale
- Watch: Tiger Shroff, alleged girlfriend Disha Patani's sizzling chemistry is unmissable in 'Befikra'!