Syria death toll from rebel infighting jumps to 68
Beirut: Activists say the death toll from infighting between rival Islamic rebel groups in eastern Syria has jumped to 68.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says battles are still raging today, for a second day, around Bukamal town in the oil-rich Deir el-Zour province near the Iraqi border.
Rebels from the al-Qaeda breakaway group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and fighters of the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front and other Islamic groups have been fighting each other in the province for weeks over territory they previously captured together from President Bashar Assad`s forces, including oil-fields.
The Observatory said 51 fighters died in fighting around Bukamal yesterday, when the flare-up started. The Islamic State captured the town, previously controlled by the Nusra Front.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?