Syria rebels retake strategic base in north: NGO
Beirut: Syrian rebels have regained control of a strategic base near Aleppo international airport in fierce fighting that left more than 50 people dead, a monitoring group said today.
Troops backed by fighters from Lebanese Shiite militant group Hezbollah had recaptured large parts of Base 80 outside Syria`s main northern city in an assault yesterday morning.
But rebel fighters, among them Al-Qaeda loyalists, counter-attacked after dark, using Grad rockets against the army`s tanks and recovering all of the lost ground, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
"As a result of the fighting, the rebels and jihadists have retaken the parts of the base that were captured during the day by the army," the watchdog`s director Rami Abdel Rahman said.
He said the fighting had left at least 53 people dead, 33 on the rebel side and 20 on the government side.
The rebels seized Base 80, which provided the garrison for both Aleppo international airport and the adjacent Nayrab military airfield, in February.
They failed to capture either airport but civilian flights have been suspended since the start of the year because of rebel fire.
The army has made several advances east of of Aleppo in recent days, including the recapture of Sfeira, a town that had been under rebel control for a year.
More than 120,000 people have been killed in Syria since the conflict erupted in March 2011, according to the Observatory`s figures.
Millions more have been displaced inside Syria or have fled abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price