Syrian Opposition impeding peace process: Russia
Moscow: Russia has blamed the Syrian National Coalition of attempting to disrupt resolution of the Syrian crisis and is pushing for foreign military intervention in the country.
"It looks like the National Coalition and especially its regional sponsors are doing their best to disrupt the start of the political process and are trying to induce foreign intervention in Syria by all means, including the unscrupulous manipulation of public opinion," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Thursday.
After days of fierce debate about its participation in a peace conference proposed by Russia and the US in early May, the coalition announced on Wednesday that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, along with all heads of his regime’s special services and high-ranking military officers, must resign before the opposition joins any peace talks.
It also demanded that Iran and Lebanon’s Shi’ite group Hezbollah halt their “invasion of Syria”.
On Thursday, the coalition said that it “won’t take part in any peace talks as long as killings (in Syria) continue”.
After holding talks with his Cuban counterpart Bruno Rodriguez, Lavrov expressed hope that “realistically minded forces” in the US and Europe would “be able to rein in those who connive at such an absolutely inadmissible and aggressive approach by the National Coalition”.
Lavrov criticised the coalition as an organisation with “no constructive (political) platform”, whose members are engaged in a bitter rivalry for leadership posts.
“The only thing that unites them is the demand for Bashar Assad’s immediate resignation. But it’s clear to everyone, including our Western partners, that an approach like that is unrealistic,” Lavrov said.
The Syrian government has already signalled its “principal consent” to take part in the conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’