Syrian opposition urges EU to supply rebels with arms
Zee Media Bureau
Beirut: After Wednesday’s decision by the European Union to remove the arms embargo on the Syrian rebels, the country’s main opposition is urging the EU to supply the rebels with arms to fight against President Bashar al-Assad’s forces.
The Wednesday’s decision cleared the way for the countries in the EU to send arms to the outgunned Syrian rebels.
But the decision may have little impact on Syria`s 2-year-old conflict, since no single European country is expected to sendlethal weapons to the rebels in the coming weeks.
A Syrian National Coalition statement urged the EU to promptly send "specialized weaponry to repel the fierce attacks waged against unarmed civilians" by Assad`s regime and its Hezbollah and Iranian allies.
More than 70,000 people have been killed in the Syrian civil war.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...