Syrian opposition urges EU to supply rebels with arms
Zee Media Bureau
Beirut: After Wednesday’s decision by the European Union to remove the arms embargo on the Syrian rebels, the country’s main opposition is urging the EU to supply the rebels with arms to fight against President Bashar al-Assad’s forces.
The Wednesday’s decision cleared the way for the countries in the EU to send arms to the outgunned Syrian rebels.
But the decision may have little impact on Syria`s 2-year-old conflict, since no single European country is expected to sendlethal weapons to the rebels in the coming weeks.
A Syrian National Coalition statement urged the EU to promptly send "specialized weaponry to repel the fierce attacks waged against unarmed civilians" by Assad`s regime and its Hezbollah and Iranian allies.
More than 70,000 people have been killed in the Syrian civil war.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price