Syrian opposition urges EU to supply rebels with arms
Zee Media Bureau
Beirut: After Wednesday’s decision by the European Union to remove the arms embargo on the Syrian rebels, the country’s main opposition is urging the EU to supply the rebels with arms to fight against President Bashar al-Assad’s forces.
The Wednesday’s decision cleared the way for the countries in the EU to send arms to the outgunned Syrian rebels.
But the decision may have little impact on Syria`s 2-year-old conflict, since no single European country is expected to sendlethal weapons to the rebels in the coming weeks.
A Syrian National Coalition statement urged the EU to promptly send "specialized weaponry to repel the fierce attacks waged against unarmed civilians" by Assad`s regime and its Hezbollah and Iranian allies.
More than 70,000 people have been killed in the Syrian civil war.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre