Terrorist attack outside US Embassy in Bosnia
Sarajevo: A man opened
fire with an automatic weapon on Saturday in what authorities called
a terrorist attack on the US Embassy in Bosnia.
A policeman and the gunman were wounded, but the embassy
said none of its employees was hurt.
Sarajevo Mayor Alija Behmen said the gunman "got off a
tram with a Kalashnikov and started shooting at the American
Embassy." Witnesses told Bosnian television that the man urged
pedestrians to move away, saying he was targeting only the
He wore a beard and was dressed in an outfit with short
pants that reveal his ankles typical for followers of the
conservative Wahhabi branch of Islam.
One police officer guarding the building was wounded
before police surrounded the gunman. After a 30-minute
standoff, the sound of a single shot echoed and AP video
showed the shooter slump to the ground.
Police arrested the wounded man who one of Bosnia`s three
presidents said is a foreigner and took him away in an
ambulance as pedestrians cowered behind buildings and
Hospital spokeswoman Biljana Jandric told The Associated
Press the gunman had a minor wound to his leg, and would spend
the night at the hospital before being released into police
Bosnian TV identified the shooter as Mevlid Jasarevic,
from Novi Pazar, Serbia. It said he is a Wahhabi follower.
Serbian Interior Minister Ivica Dacic confirmed his identity.
The Wahhabis are an extremely conservative branch which
is rooted in Saudi Arabia and linked to religious militants in
parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH