Thousands flee in Philippines as typhoon nears
Manila: Philippine officials say thousands of villagers, including those from a central province devastated recently by an earthquake, are being evacuated ahead of the arrival of one of Asia`s most powerful typhoons this year.
Gorvernment forecasters today said that Typhoon Haiyan was packing sustained winds of 215 kilometers per hour and ferocious gusts of 250 kph and could pick up strength over the Pacific Ocean before it slams into the eastern Philippine province of Eastern Samar tomorrow.
The head of government`s main disaster-response agency Eduardo del Rosario says governors and mayors are overseeing the evacuation of thousands of residents from landslide- and flood-prone communities, including central Bohol province, which was hit by a 7.2-magnitude killer quake last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says