Two Tibetans self-immolate in China: Reports
Beijing: Two Tibetans in southwestern China died after setting themselves on fire, rights groups said, the latest in a series of such protests against Beijing`s rule.
Lobsang Dawa and Konchog Woeser set themselves ablaze on Wednesday in Sichuan province`s Aba prefecture, where many such incidents have occurred, said US-based Radio Free Asia (RFA) and Britain-based rights group Free Tibet.
RFA said monks held prayers for the deceased, aged 20 and 23, and the bodies were due to be cremated on Thursday.
More than 110 Tibetans have set themselves alight since 2009, with most dying of their injuries in demonstrations against what they view as Chinese oppression.
Beijing rejects such claims, pointing to substantial investment in Tibet and other regions with large Tibetan populations, although critics say economic development has brought an influx of ethnic Han Chinese and eroded traditional Tibetan culture.
Authorities have ramped up security in the areas, sometimes blocking communications, according to RFA.
In recent months, Tibetans have been jailed on charges of inciting the protests and spreading information about such incidents overseas.
Beijing condemns the acts and blames them on the exiled Tibetan leader, the Dalai Lama, saying he uses them to further a separatist agenda.
The Dalai Lama, a Nobel Peace laureate who has lived in exile in India since 1959 after a failed uprising in Tibet, has described the protests as acts of desperation that he is powerless to stop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US