UK: 500 body parts kept by cops even after probe
London: Police departments in Britain retained at least 492 human body parts, including brains, hearts and limbs, even after investigations were over, without telling the families of victims, an official probe has found.
The Association of Chief Police Officers said the body parts were from murder investigations or cases involving other suspicious deaths that date back as far as the 1960s, the Guardian reported.
Police said there was a legal requirement for them to retain human body tissue samples after post-mortem examination in murder cases.
According to British law, body parts can be stored until a convicted prisoner has served his sentence. But the uncovered samples relate to cases no longer subject to investigation.
The audit did not include samples from current criminal investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’